Garth Smorang Q.C.
Services provided by Garth Smorang Law Corporation
P: (204) 926-1518 F: (204) 956-0625
Garth Smorang practices labour relations and employment law, exclusively on behalf of unions and employees. He has been practising law since 1983, and is a partner in the firm.
Garth regularly appears before arbitration boards on grievance and interest arbitrations. He also acts for clients regarding a variety of proceedings before the Manitoba Labour Board, the Canada Industrial Relations Board, and in Manitoba Courts.
On a day-to-day basis Garth assists clients with the application and interpretation of collective agreements, workplace rules, policies and discipline, as well as with drafting and negotiating documents and agreements. He provides advice concerning human rights legislation, employment standards, workers’ compensation, disability and insurance plans, privacy legislation and workplace health and safety.
Garth advises non-unionized employees regarding employment law issues such as wrongful dismissal, employment contracts, severance packages and other workplace issues.
Garth is involved in our community. He is a past Chair of the Board of the Winnipeg Airports Authority, and currently is the Chair of the Manitoba Law Foundation.
Garth is a Past President of the Law Society of Manitoba and the Manitoba Bar Association.
Garth was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1995.
- Call to the Bar of Manitoba – 1983
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Manitoba – 1982
- Labour Relations
- Employment Law
- Human Rights Law
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- Chair – Board of Directors – Manitoba Law Foundation
- Past Chair – Board of Directors – Winnipeg Airports Authority
- President – Law Society of Manitoba – 2005 – 2006
- President – Manitoba Bar Association – 1996 – 1997
- Life Bencher – Law Society of Manitoba
- Member and Life Council Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Board of Directors of the Canadian Bar Association Law for the Future Fund – 1998 – 2007
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Association of Labour Lawyers (CALL)
- Frequent Presenter/Lecturer
Volunteer and Community Activities
- Board of Directors – Delta Upsilon Alumni Corporation – 1992 – present
- Board of Directors – Norshel Inc. – 1990 to 2001
- Member of Amnesty International
- Board of Directors – Winnipeg Jazz Orchestra – 2019