Hymie Weinstein, Q.C.
Services provided by Hymie Weinstein Law Corporation
P: (204) 926-1521 F: (204) 956-0625
Hymie Weinstein is Counsel to Myers LLP, and is, in fact, the firm’s longest-serving member, having joined in 1972. He practices in the area of criminal law and represents clients in all levels of court in Manitoba. Prior to joining Myers LLP, he was a Crown prosecutor with the Attorney General Department of Manitoba from 1968 to 1972.
Hymie has also represented clients at numerous public inquiries including: representing anaesthetists and pediatric intensive care unit doctors at the Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Inquest, and the RCMP in the Helen Betty Osborne segment of the Aboriginal Justice Inquiry. He was also appointed Senior Commission Counsel for the Somalia Inquiry in Ottawa. He also represented a Chief of Police at the Taman Inquiry.
He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers which is composed of the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada and is widely considered to be the premier professional trial organization in America. Founded in 1950, the College is dedicated to maintaining and improving the standards of trial practice, the administration of justice and the ethics of the profession.
For 14 years, Hymie was a lecturer at the Federation of Law Societies National Criminal Law Program. This annual 5-day program is the Premier Criminal Law program in Canada. The registrants are Judges, Crown Prosecutors and Defence Counsel from across Canada.
Hymie is also a Fellow of the International Society of Barristers, an honour society of outstanding trial lawyers chosen by their peers on the basis of excellence and integrity in advocacy. The organization seeks to preserve trial by jury, the adversary system, and independence of the judiciary.
Hymie was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1981.
“Best Lawyers”, the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession, has named Hymie Weinstein as the “Winnipeg Best Lawyers Criminal Defense Lawyer of the Year” for the year 2012 and 2014.
- Call to the Bar of Manitoba – 1967
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Manitoba – 1967
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- Life Bencher, Law Society of Manitoba
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Criminal Defence Lawyers Association of Manitoba
- Fellow of The American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow of The International Society of Barristers
- Past lecturer and presenter of papers for fourteen years at the Federation of Law Societies National Criminal Law Program
- Federal Government appointee to the Judicial Advisory Committee in Manitoba
Volunteer and Community Activities
- Former Member of Board of the Misericordia Health Centre Foundation
- Past Chair, Manitoba Adolescent Treatment Centre