P: (204) 926 – 4184 F: (204) 956-0625
Karen Wittman is a partner at Myers LLP in the civil litigation department. Karen has over 20 years experience as a civil litigator with a primary focus on personal injury claims, corporate/commercial litigation, and administrative law. She also has extensive experience in employment law, estate litigation, insurance law, municipal law, and aboriginal law.
Karen represents both individuals and corporate clients. In her personal injury practice, Karen advances and defends claims for a variety of injuries including cases involving historical sexual assaults as well as claims for catastrophic injuries. In her commercial litigation practice, Karen helps business owners resolve disputes that threaten to slow growth or derail operations. She advises clients on contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, oppression claims, and claims against directors and officers. Karen has appeared at every level of court in Manitoba as well as various administrative tribunals. She brings with her a wealth of experience in litigation, negotiation, and alternative dispute resolution including mediation and arbitration.
In addition to her practice, Karen is the Chair of the Manitoba Criminal Code Review Board, which makes and reviews dispositions concerning those found not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder or unfit to stand trial. She is also a Part Time Commissioner representing the public interest with the Workers Compensation Board Appeal Commission, an independent quasi-judicial tribunal established to deal with appeals from the Workers Compensation Board.
Karen is a respected speaker on topics in litigation and participated for a number of years as an instructor and learning group facilitator for the Centre for Professional Legal Education Program Bar Admission Course with the Law Society of Manitoba.
Karen is Past-President of the Manitoba Bar Association, former Chair of the Women Lawyers Forum, and former Chair of the Canadian Bar Association’s Professional Development Committee.
- Call to the Bar (Manitoba) – 2000
- Bachelor of Law, Dean’s Honour List, University of Manitoba
- Master of Arts with Distinction, International Studies, University of Manitoba
- Bachelor of Arts, Dean’s Honour List, University of Manitoba
- Civil litigation
- Administrative Law
- Aboriginal Law
- Corporate Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Employment Law
- Estate Litigation
- Medical Malpractice
- Municipal Law
- Insurance Law
- Personal Injury Law
- Securities Litigation
- Chair, Criminal Code Review Board of Manitoba
- Part-time Commissioner, Workers Compensation Appeals Commission
- Director, Canadian Bar Insurance Association
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Past President, Manitoba Bar Association
- Past Chair, Professional Development Committee, Canadian Bar Association
- Past Chair, Women Lawyers Forum
- Past Member, Riverview Annual Gala Dinner Fundraiser