P: (204) 926-1522 F: (204) 956-0625
Josh Weinstein is a member of the Myers LLP criminal department practicing almost exclusively in the area of criminal defence. He represents a number of clients on matters ranging from simple summary conviction offences to murder and has appeared at all levels of court in Manitoba and at the Supreme Court of Canada.
Josh also represents numerous clients on quasi-criminal matters and matters of professional discipline appearing in front of various boards, tribunals as well as the courts.
He has appeared frequently as a guest lecturer at the Law Society of Manitoba’s Continuing Legal Education program, and as a presenter at Manitoba’s annual Crown and Defence Conference.
Josh began with the firm as a summer student in 1995 and started his articles with the firm in the summer of 1996. Upon completion of his articles, he joined the firm as an associate in 1997 and became a partner in 2009. He was a managing partner from 2015-2018.
- Call to the Bar of Manitoba – 1997
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Manitoba – 1996
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Manitoba – 1993
- Criminal Law
- Administrative Law
- Professional Discipline
Canadian Bar Association
- Past Chair, Criminal Justice Section
- Member of the Organizing Committee and Co-Chair of Opening and Closing Festivities, CBA Canadian Legal Conference & Expo, Winnipeg, 2004
- Former Member of National Council
Manitoba Bar Association
- Past President
- Past co-chair, Criminal Justice Section
- Past Council Member
- Past co-chair, Mid-Winter Conference, 2004 and 2005, Winnipeg
American Bar Association
- Past member of Provincial Court of Manitoba Liaison Committee
- Past member of the Provincial Pre-Sentence Report Committee
- Past member of the Manitoba Court Media Committee
- Law Society of Manitoba
- Manitoba Criminal Defence Lawyers Association
- Community Legal Education Association
- Douglas Miller Award , 2014 – The Award recognizes a Canadian Bar Association member who demonstrates outstanding dedication and team spirit in his or her ongoing involvement with the CBA.
- Manitoba Bar Association Life Council Member Designation, June, 2005
- “Notes and Use of Force” -May 28,2018 Canadian Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement conference
- “Tech Tools for Lawyers” – November 2017presentation at the Criminal Defence Lawyers Association of Manitoba Conference “Confusion Corner: What to Do When Family Law, Criminal Law and Privacy Issues Collide” – March 2017, Presented at the Isaac Pitblado Lectures
- “Anatomy of a Corrective Force Case” – May 2013, presentation to Canadian Association for the Practical Study of Law in Education(CAPSLE)
- Representative on the Canada Delegation at the 2008 Uniform Law Conference on Criminal Law (Quebec City)
- Representative for the Canada Delegation at the 2009 Uniform Law Conference on Criminal Law (Ottawa)
- “O’Connor Applications: Whose Rights Come First?”, Second Annual Crown Defence Conference, Winnipeg, 2003
- Board member, Jazz Winnipeg
- Board Member, Winnipeg Board of Jewish Education
- Board Member, Border Crossings