Myers LLP is one of the leading law firms in Manitoba providing Indigenous legal services to First Nations, having established a solid reputation based on the knowledge and skills of our lawyers. We represent a broad range of clients including First Nations, Tribal Councils, Child and Family Service agencies, Education Authorities and political organizations. We are proud of the relationship which we have developed with First Nations and are committed to the promotion and advancement of the rights and interests of Indigenous peoples. We have experience in providing services to our clients in these areas:
- The negotiation and litigation of Treaty and Indigenous Rights;
- The negotiation and implementation of Treaty Land Entitlement claims, flooding claims and other land claims, under both Specific and Comprehensive federal land claims policies;
- The negotiation, development and implementation of agreements with respect to hydro electric development;
- Self Government negotiations;
- Land issues including leases, designations, permits and security on land;
- Taxation issues regarding fuel, tobacco and retail sales taxes;
- Indian Act exemptions respecting seizure, garnishment and attachment;
- Band governance and elections, including the development of election codes;
- The development and negotiation of services agreements between First Nations and municipalities;
- Corporate and commercial advice to First Nations, First Nation corporations and individuals;
- Advice and representation in court and labour board hearings regarding labour and employment law including sexual harassment and unjust dismissal.
OTHER AREAS of PRACTICE
Myers LLP provides a full range of legal services in English, French and Portuguese.